Question
Posted by: SR | 2010-11-11

fibroids at 51

Hi there.

I am asking this question on behalf of my mum. She is almost 51 and has recently (over the past year or so) had very irregular but heavy and painful periods. They sometimes last for weeks.

This has been the case since 29th October (till now). She recently saw her GP who did a scan and indicated that it looks like she has a fibroid (4cm diameter) - her GP mentioned that the only way to fix this is to have a hysterectomy. Is this true? I have heard that fibroids diminish in severity at menopause, is this true? Should she rather wait till menopause is complete?

If her gynae says that hysterectomy is the only way, then does it mean her ovaries will also have to be removed and she will then need HRT? She really doesnt want to go onto HRT - can this be avoided?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Fibroids do not get bigger during menopause but they don't disappear. If the fibroid is causing symptoms, then a hysterectomy is the best option. She can discuss with her gynaeclogist about removing the ovaries, Most doctors would suggest it at her age as they will not go on working for much longer and then HRT would be necessary anyway. However, it is still her decision whether to have them removed or not.

1
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2010-11-12