Question
Posted by: Femmy | 2008/07/07

fibroids and fertility

I am a 31 year old married woman with fibroids for the past 4years and i have done embolization in 2006.
Me and my husband have been trying to conceive for a while and nothing has been happening.I hear that fibroids do not affect my chances of conceiving i do not know how true this is.!
If not the fibroids then could it be that my husband could be suffering from low sperm count and if not how d owe find out that we are both fertile?

Please help the ones in dire straights

Dear Femmy

It is true that as a general rule, fibroids do not affect ones chances of conceiving. However, if one does conceive, then they do increase the chances of miscarriage. The only way that fibroids may affect your chances of falling pregnant is if they are occluding both your fallopian tubes. There are many other causes as to why you as a couple are having difficulty in conceiving and yes, it may possibly be related to a male factor problem such as a low sperm count or morphology. You need to see a fertility specialist or a gynaecologist to ascertain whether your fallopian tubes are patent, secondly, the position and size of the fibroids, thirdly, any hormonal problems that may be affecting ovulation and lastly, any sperm problems. It is important to note that embolization as a form of treatment of fibroids in a woman still trying to conceive is controversial and at present, the treatment of choice would rather be a myomectomy, which means removal of the fibroids if it is required.

1
Posted by: blossom | 2009/03/24

I would like to learn more about fibroids as I was told have got them but I am not bleeding heavily or have back aches but since am not married am i going to concieve if i eventually get married

Reply to blossom