Question
Posted by: petty | 2010-11-19

Fibroids

I have been diagnosed with fibroids and need to go for surgery for them to be removed. I previously struggled to fall pregnant and when i did i miscarried and i am struggling again. Can the fibroids be the cause of my difficulty to concieve and is it possible that they caused the miscarriage?

Dear Petty

It is unusual for fibroids to be a cause of infertility. Fibroids would only cause infertility if they cause total obstruction of the uterine cavity or if they occlude both the fallopian tubes. There may be other causes present that have contributed to your difficulty in conceiving. On the other hand fibroids are associated with an increased risk of miscarriage and it is therefore wise for you to remove the fibroids before attempting to fall pregnant to decrease the chances of miscarriage.

Answered by Dr Dasoo