Question
Posted by: curious | 2008/09/01

fibroids

I recently had fibroids removed and was told by my gynae that my periods wont be so heavy after this but this is not the case. for the past two months after my operation, i have had heavy, clotty periods. is this normal after an op like this or is there something else that i should be concerned about?

Dear Curious

Occasionally, the healing process takes a little longer than expected and one can experience prolonged menses for up to 3 months after a myomectomy. However, beyond this time period, I would certainly return to your gynaecologist for re-evaluation.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim