Question
Posted by: Jenny | 2008/06/11

Fibroid removal

Hi Doc and everyone. please give me a second opinion.

A gynae told me i had a fibroid some 3 yrs ago but said it was nothing to worry about at the time.

Now i went to another gynae for routine check up, he says it has grown and is now 6cm and i should remove it bcos it is closer to my womb and if i dont remove it sooner i might have to remove the womb in future.

pls advice how dangerous it is to remove it and what are the other consequences if i dont remove it say in the next 12 months? How long normally does it take to heal after removal?

It is usually removed via a laparotomy. It may grow bigger and cause more problems if you dont have it removed.
You should be back to full normal activity in 4 to 6 weeks after the operation.