Question
Posted by: Nari | 2012/05/16

Fibroid

I recently went for a check up and my gynie advised me that I need to have a fibroid (uterus) removed size: 27mm. Two treatment procedures were discussed with me i.e. injections over +- 9-12 months alternatively hysteroscope. With these 2 options of treatment presented to me is there a possibility that the same fibroid can grow again / be resuscitated after the treatment or should I fall pregnant?

Regards,

Dear Nari

From the history that you have given me it appears that the fibroid is sitting in or very close to the uterine cavity and that is why he has given you the option of removing it through the hysteroscope. The use of injections would decrease the size of the fibroid but it would not go away. After stopping the medication there is a very high chance that it will grow back to its normal size and may get bigger over a period of time. In terms of removing it hysterscopically, if is possible to remove the entire fibroid hysterscopically then that fibroid won’t trouble you again. However because you have a history now of having fibroids the chances of other fibroids re-growing are still there. If however the fibroid is in the uterine cavity I would suggest that it be removed first before you try and fall pregnant as fibroids in the cavity caused and increase chance of miscarriages.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2012/05/24

Dear Nari

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

Reply to Fertility expert