Question
Posted by: concerned mom | 2010-10-26

fibre rich diet for toddler

What is a typical menu, or ideas for meals and snacks for a 4 year old? My daughter is very constipated, even though I try to add fibre to her diet. She is a very fussy eater, and I struggle for her to try anything new.

Dear Concerned Mom
The best solution to constipation for children as well as adults is to increase dietary fibre intake and use probiotics ("good microorganisms"). For a small child you just need to make sure that you introduce the high-fibre foods gradually and in small quantities so as not to upset het digestive system and cause diarrhoea which is also not desirable. Select a high-fibre cereal or wholewheat toast for her breakfast with 1 tablespoon of cooked, dried fruit. Give her ProVitas or wholewheat bread for lunch with fruit and yoghurt and a standard supper consisting of a small portion of meat or fish, a cooked starch like wholewheat pasta and some cooked vegetables plus a fresh fruit. Use Kiddi-Forte probiotics which you can buy at a health shop to help your daughter's colon function normally. Click on 'Diet n Food' at the top of this page and then on 'Food as medicine" and read the articles under 'Healthy colon'.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-10-26

Dear Concerned Mom