Question
Posted by: Mooimeisie | 2012/04/04

Fibre

I have changed my diet, wanna lose a bit of weight but now I suffer from costipation. I heard theres fibre I can sprinkle in my shake n im clueles about what kind of fibre is it, WHERE can I buy, HOW do I identify it from the store.

please HELP.
Thank u.

EXPERT''S REPLY
Subject:
Dear Mooimeisie
It is good to hear that you are going to include extra fibre in your diet. You can look in your supermarket for ''wheat bran'' or ask at your chemist for ''wheat bran'' which you can sprinkle on your shakes. Oat bran does not promote regularity as well as wheat bran. Oat bran is usually used to help lower blood cholesterol levels. You can also eat fresh and dried fruit, vegetables and high-fibre breakfast cereals, legumes, etc, to improve bowel movements. Please click on ''Diet &  Nutrition'', ''You are what you eat'' and ''Healthy colon'' to read how to increase your dietary fibre intake and use probiotics (" good microorganisms" ) to achieve regularity.

Hi again Doc
In reference to the above question and answer, i went to various supermarkets and I ONLY found FIBRE BRAN NOT WHEAT BRAN as u suggested. NOW WHAT ??
2nd question is sugar is one of the ingredients, Im worried about that. AND total carbohydrates is 21g per 100g and 17g per 40g, isnt this too much ??

Dear Mooimeisie OK, don't panic. I don't know where you stay, but it is possible the local supermarkets in your area only stock Fibre Bran Breakfast Cereals (seeing that these products contained sugar, etc). So now you will have to ask at a health shop or at a large chemist such as Dischem. Keep on looking for 'Wheat bran' or 'Digestive bran' which should have a high dietary fibre content and not contain any sugar. It may help to go to the Manager at your local supermarkets and to ask him/her specifically to help you find 'Digestive or Wheat Bran' for sprinkling on top of foods or into shakes. I promise to check tomorrow where the 'Digestive/Wheat' bran' is kept in some local supermarkets and what the brand names are. If I can find some for you, I will post a new answer to this question, so keep an eye open. Best regards DietDoc Additional Information: Hi, I went to my local Spar yesterday and on the Health Food shelves they have a big variety of Nature's Choice products, including "Nature's Choice Digestive Bran" which sells at R12.99 for 250g. Per 100g it contains: Energy 1904 kJ, 10.5 g plant protein, 51.7 g carbohydrate of which 5.9 g is insoluble dietary fibre and 24.3 g of fat. I hope this helps? Best regards DietDoc

2
Posted by: Tati | 2012/04/19

I made these for Mum but used Splenda and all whole wheat flour (she is diabetic) and she loved them! As did my guy who nrmlaoly loves sweet bad stuff. Thanks for the great recipe. :)

Reply to Tati