Posted by: s | 2011-06-20

fever blisters

hi Doc
I woke up on Saturday morning with blisters inside my mouth, it got progressivly worse so on SUnday I went to a pharmasist who gave me antihistemines and dentadine. It was feeling really bad today and had moved not only to my gums, roof of my mouth but also my lips where there was a yellow crusty layer on my lips (Mon) so I went to the doctor who diagnosed a really bad outbreak of fever blisters. he prescribed acitop for my lips, andolex for some numbing and a vitamin supplement but nothing to actually " cure"  the outbreak. Is that a normal thing for a doctor to do? Isn''t there something that should be prescibed to treat it? I ask because this is exceptionally painful and nothing seems to be getting any better (granted I only started with the stuff he prescibed today) and I''m wondering how long this last coz I can''t brush my teeth, I can''t eat and I can''t drink anything. Is there not something else I should be taking?

Unfortunately, there is no effective immediate cure. You can gargle with Gaviscon Advanced in attempt to lesson the oral discomfort. If the pain is really severe, you can consult your doctor for a script for Tegretol. This is really effective to control neuralgic pain caused by Herpes Simplex. Be aware that if you feel a repeat onset of the blisters, you should consult your doctor for a script for Zelitrex. If taken early enough, it can prevent the blisters from forming and lesson the severity of the attack.