Question
Posted by: Karen | 2011-01-14

Fever and other symptoms

I am a 47 year old female and have had a fever, chills, weakness, pins and needles, in the arms and hands, and loss of appetite, I also had joint pain all over on the first day which was two days ago - this has disappeared.

No headache at all.

I did cut my foot (only a scratch) on Tuesday, however symptoms appeared Wed, so don''t think it''s sepsis or tetnus - don''t have stiff neck or jaw.

Do you think it''s just some kind of virus?

How long should one wait before seeing a doctor?.

Thanks so much.

Karen

It is most likely a viral infection but I do suggest that you consult a doctor. Bed rest, fluids and aspirin might alleviate your symptoms.

DrAnrich Burger

1
Posted by: Karen | 2011-01-16

Update:

Hi Doc, I am still experiencing fevers and chills after 5 days, and did have a headache last night.

I was reading up on cat scratch fever, and wonder if that scratch on foot could be caused by one of my two cats.

However my lymph nodes near ears and jaw are not swollen, nor are the ones in armpits or groin.

I do have pain in the same leg on the inner thigh - mid thigh and shooting pains up and down my calf on the outer side. General joint pains have also returned including back and fingers.

The scratch has no pus, no open edges, but is a dark purple colour and the adjacent skin is red.

Would appreciate your insights.

Reply to Karen