Posted by: Sunshine | 2013-02-14

Good day

I have been trying to concieve my second baby for the past 2.5 years. My 1st was concieved on round 1 of clomid. I have been off the pill for 2.5 years. I have given it a year and my period come every 50 days or so. I went to the gynae and he said my ovaries look a bit polycystic. He sent me for blood test and when he got my results he said my hormones and everything is fine he cannot put me on Metformin like he initially wanted to. Instead he is saying I must go on the pill for 3 months? I don''t understand how this will work. Please advise what my next step is. I am currently taking INofolic.

Dear sunshine
The fact that your cycle is coming every 50 days would certainly imply some form of ovulation dysfunction. My approach to this problem would be to induce ovulation using initially the tablets such as clomid or equivalent and increasing the dosage if the response is sub-optimal.however in more advanced cases it would be necessary to combine clomid or equivalent with injections and careful monitoring to get an adequate ovulation is also however important to exclude other tubal damage (through an HSG x-ray) and also to re-evaluate the sperm to ensure there is no deterioration in sperm quality.Answered by Dr M.I.Cassim