Question
Posted by: Zellie | 2007/07/16

Q.

Fertomid side effects

Good Day Doctor

A friend said she read somewhere that if Fertomid is used for extended periods it could actually have the opposite effect and make conception even harder. I read the side effects on the leaflet on the inside of box, but it is way too complicated for me to understand. Can you please tell me in plain English what side effects there are associated to using this fertility drug?

Expert's Reply

A.

Dear Zellie

Fertimed contains clomiphene citrate, which is the same ingredient in most of the ovulation induction tablets such as clomid, serifene ecetera. It is not advisable to use fertimed on a continuous basis, that means from cycle to cycle without interruption.

The consequences may be the production of multiple ovarian cysts, which may require surgical intervention and hence complicate chances of conception even further. Also the dosage of fertimed should not be increased beyond 100mg since the complication rate would then be much higher and also the chances of implantation significantly lower. This implies that the opposite effect may be experienced with firstly high dosages and secondly with prolonged continuous usage.

Want to comment?