Question
Posted by: Tash | 2009-11-05

Fertomid &  Glucophage

Hi Doc,

I have been trying to conceive since Sept 2008 and I am 31 years old and have never been pregnant. Had my Mirena removed and discovered a large, solid cyst on my only ovary (8 x 5 cm) went on the pill. It disappeared. 3 month later back again, back on the pill, again it disappeared. But since having had Mirena removed (my periods stopped during the Mirena) my cycles have been: Feb 28 days no period and no ovulation, March 38 days, no period and no ovulation, put onto the pill. Three months later: June 26 days, July 26 days, Aug 16 days did not ovulate, Sept 23 days, Oct 24 days did not ovulate, and this month possible 25 days and ovulated on CD13 and first month on Glucophage treating Insulin Resistance. I normally ov between CD10 and CD14. Thing is my gynae ordered my blood tests on CD21 of my irregular cycles - paying no attention that my cycles are not 28 days. Hence the results came back Insulin Resistance and PCOS. He then had his receptionist phone me to tell me the news, I have never seen him or spoken to him since, and his receptionist just emailed me a script for 6 months Glucophage and Fertomid. No follow up visit nothing. So I have decided I will not be going back to him. Thing is - do I have to be monitored ? I am suspictable to having a cyst and only have the one ovary. Plus some months I do ovulated (BBT' ing) so do I still take the Fertomid ?? And he said to take it day 5 - 9.....should i take it those days or day 3 - 7 ?? I am so confused. Any feedback from you will be mostly appreciated !

Dear Tash

It appears that you have a condition called polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) with insulin resistance. The fact that your menstrual cycle is so irregular usually means that with the presence of polycystic ovarian syndrome and irregular cycles that ovulation is not taking place every month. The use of Glucophage is normally recommended in patients with PCOS and a high insulin level. Fertomid would be a good option to start of with to help you ovulate. This should however be ideally taken while having serial ultrasound monitoring of follicular development or at least doing the urinary LH surge kits that are available at the pharmacy. Fertomid can be taken either from day 5 to 9 or day 3-7 it usually does not make a difference. The use of Fertomid may predispose you to having more cysts, as that is one of the side effects of taking these types of medications.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

3
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2009-11-18

Dear Tash

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

Reply to Fertility expert
Posted by: Clare | 2009-11-06

Hi Tash,

i just wanted to share some of my own experiences with you. I too am borderline insulin resistant and am taking 500mg glucophage once a day. I have had my day21 progesterone test taken on previous occasions a few months apart and all tests indicated i do not ovulate. I saw three different drs because none of them tracked me, they just gave me clomid and said carry on taking it for six months then come see me again. I just knew that was wrong so i went to see a specaislt gynae. He straight away sent me for tests, did the relevant exams and he then confirm my insulin resistance and anovulation he prescriped blood tests (day21), glucophae and clomid for six months. I started clomid 50mg on day 5 - 10 and on day 21 i went for my first blood test. on tuesday the dr phoned and said i had ovulated so we now know the 50mg clomid worked. I am supposed to wait ten days and if i dont start my period go back to him for a blood pregnancy test. If you ovulate on 50mg clomid it does not help if you increase the dosage to 100mg. That is why the dr needs to monitor you so that he can see when the drug is working. Symptoms of pcos is bad face acne, excessive facial hair, fat stores in specific places on your body, irregular periods, anovulation, insulin resistance etc Hope this helps a little

Reply to Clare
Posted by: Ronel | 2009-11-05

The Dr here will give you good advice. I can only recommend to go to a fertikity specialist and not waste your time with these other doctors.

Good luck.

Reply to Ronel