Posted by: Mahlori | 2009-02-12

fertomid-50 and confused

hi everyone. i went to see a Gynae, since i got miscarriage last year. so we'  ve been trying to conceive for some months now. so he gave me Fertomid-50, he said i must take it on the third day of my period for five days. so what warries me is my best friend went to another Gynae and she got the same tablets but different instruction. she was told to take it after periods and stay for 14 days without sex and after that they must have sex almost everyday. can somebody tell me the right thing am confused

Dear Mahlori

Fertomid treatment is usually a 5-day course, which can be initiated anytime from Day 2 to Day 5 of the cycle. The choice of when to start depends on the gynaecologist’s objective in ovulation induction. The earlier onset will result in a higher number of follicles being recruited whereas if commenced later i.e. Day 5, then the objective is a far more rapid growth of the single follicle that has already been recruited. Therefore in cases were ovulation is occurring at a much later stage in the cycle or is not happening at all, it is ideal to use the Fertomid later in the treatment cycle i.e. Day 4 or 5. Were the objective is multi-ovulation or an increase in the number of eggs from both ovaries then it is advisable to commence early i.e. Day 2 or 3 of the cycle. This latter circumstance is often used in ART cycles i.e. In-vitro fertilization or insemination programs and often creates the risk of multiple pregnancies as well as multiple ovarian cyst formation. Therefore if Fertomid or equivalent drug is used early in a cycle it is important that careful monitoring be undertaken using ultrasound scanning so as to be able to monitor the number of follicles and their rate of growth and as a consequence the likelihood of multiple pregnancies occurring. Were natural intercourse is considered it would be more appropriate to use the drug from Day 4 or 5 of the cycle together with ovulation monitoring.

Answered by: Dr M. I. Cassim

Posted by: wvw | 2009-02-17

I am on clomid as well my ginea told me to take it day 5-9 he draw us a picture saying count from day one on day 5 every morning same time drink it til day 9 with no sex then from day ten we do it like this on day 10-12-14-16-18-20 then we can do it again how we plaese it the pends on what the probleme exacly are if it is with male and female it will then only be every second day. It is actualy bad because it starts to feel like work then
Good Luck

Reply to wvw
Posted by: AA | 2009-02-16

Fertomid and Clomid is the same thing - Fertomid is the generic version of Clomid. You can take Fertomid/Clomid either day 3-8 or day 5-9. I have never heard of drs telling patients not to have sex when taking either Fertomid or Clomid.

Reply to AA
Posted by: Maine | 2009-02-13

Hi There

One of my previous gynae' s put me on fertomid - it didnt work

But I had to take 1 tablet everyday from day 6-10 then no sex for days 11 &  12, then lots of sex

then my current gynae put me on clomid which i had to take from day 1 -5 and lots of sex

Reply to Maine