Question
Posted by: Denise | 2011/05/05

Fertomid

Can fertomid increase ones period cycle from the typical 28 days. I have being on 2 courses of provera (I have PCOS) and fertomid 50mg first time and then 100mg. I have taken 2 home p-tests which were both neg. Last period 2nd April, should I wait and retest in a week or go for blood tests. My symptoms are sore breasts, increase in appetite, increase temp, tired, also noticed and increase in v-discharge but its clear and has no smell. Your response would be helpful.

Dear Denise

The symptoms you described are not specific to pregnancy and can occur sometimes with excessive estrogen production and occasionally with a combination of estrogen and progesterone production. Many patients with advance polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) may not respond to 100mg of Fertomid and therefore my advice would be that you use ultrasound follicle monitoring to establish the type of response you have with these drugs. In some case of PCOS despite the reasonable response the final surge of ovulation fails to occur and cyst may develop as a result. This also needs to be established by ultrasound scanning and monitoring. It is only in the mild to moderate cases of PCOS, one can expect spontaneous ovulation with Fertomid or the equivalent drugs and therefore each individual situation has to be carefully assessed. There is also the tendency of these drugs to prolong the cycle and give the patient the impression that a pregnancy may have occurred but this in fact is a simple effect of the drugs. It is important to stress that the use of these fertility inducing agents such as Fertomid, Clomid, Serophene, etc should always be used under the supervision of practitioner familiar with the side effects/complications of these drugs.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

3
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/09/20

hi doc. i have pcos ( the syndrome). my new gynae says it is not typical and not too bad, about 4 on one ovary and 5 on the other. my bloods say I am not insulin resistant. i am not over weight. i have a period every month and the scans show no ovulation. i am not sure if i do ovulate ever but for the past 2 scans i see nothing. my dr put me on 100mg fertomid first time from day 2 -6 of cycle and progynova day 9 -18 of cycle. dr scanned me on day 15 of cycle and says no ovulation. he can see the follicle but no egg. he says i have a lovely lining in uterus on progynova. my dr says i did not respond to 100mg fertomid and can up me to 200mg or i can do the 12 day injection that is around R10,000 for 2 pens. am i wasting my time on fertomid? is it a generic? i know my body and generics usually have never worked on me. i have started pregnacare and folic acid vit on my own with no recommendation from my gynae. ido want to fall pregnant. pls guide me to make the best choice.

Posted by: sneha | 2011/05/23

hi
my doc put me on a five day course of fertomid. he said that the best day to concieve is between the 4th and 6th day after taking the last fertomid. could you please advide me if this is true and should i try concieving in the morning or evening?
regards.

Reply to sneha
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2011/05/09

Dear Denise

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert