Question
Posted by: Miss Singh | 2009-04-06

fertility+thyroid+pcos

hi,

I have an under active thyroid and have just started taking eltroxin for a month now. I was informed by a friend that ditroxin is better? Is this true. I also have pcos and need to lose weight desperately as i am getting married in a year. If i want to fall pregnant as soon i get married what is an affordable method / medication to use

Dear Miss Singh

Most patients with an under active thyroid gland will respond very effectively to just Altroxin alone. As you have only just started it you will need to monitor your thyroid function test. If after two or three months on Altroxin your levels of your thyroid function does not return to normal then you will have to increase your dose of the Altroxin. If despite this you still do not have an adequate thyroid function test then the Digoxin. If your thyroid function tests have returned to normal with the supplementation of Altroxin and in addition if you are ovulating despite having PCOS then you may not require any method or medication to fall pregnant. You should just ensure that ovulation is taking place by doing some tests that your gynaecologist will help you with and try for atleast a year to conceive. If after a year of trying you still have difficulty then it would be advisable to seek fertility help.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

1
Posted by: Anon | 2009-04-10

The best would be is to adjust your lifestyle. Having PCOS (I have it as well), creates a whole lot of other problems as well. By having PCOS, you don' t ovulate, so you' ll need something like Clomid/Fertomid. But most PCOS sufferers also have issues with insulin resistance, and you' ll need to have that under control, as that can cause infertility/miscarriages. I struggled for 2 years to fall pregnant....