Question
Posted by: Jacky | 2008/06/11

Fertility Worry

Hi Dr,
I had a pyosalpinx 10 years ago which was treated with antibiotics. Please could you give me information on the severity of this "disease" What are my chances of falling pregnant? I have no known repeat of the same problem. I am in my early 20's. Please any information or advise would really be appreciated.

Thank You

Dear Jacky
A pyosalpinx implies a fairly severe infection in the fallopian tube and it is often bilateral (both sided). In general, this will result in tubal damage of a fairly severe nature and maybe permanent. Ideally you should have a laparoscopy done to assess the current status of the fallopian tubes and the rest of the pelvis and then plan further treatment accordingly. In vitro fertilization may be your best option.