Posted by: Janine | 2011-09-29

Fertility Problem

I would like to know what we can do as my husband''s swimmers is swimming the wrong way thus us not being able to fall pregnant.Please assist as we not to sure what to do or if there is anything we should try.

Dear Jannie

In the first instance I would recommend that a full and thorough semen analysis be done again to fully understand the nature of the problem. Sperms do not simply swim the wrong way but have various motion patterns some of which are not compatible with conception and in some cases the motility index after a given period of time might be sub-optimal. Once the exact nature of the problem has been established the appropriate treatment may then be instituted and in mild to moderate cases a simple insemination is all that is required. In more advanced cases of sperm problems in-vitro fertilization and even microinjection ICSI may be necessary.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim