Posted by: Misty | 2009-04-06

Fertility - Endometriosis

How long will it take to come back again, if I did remove it already last year and must the dr also do a dnc to enhance my chances to get pregnant sooner, and if I choose invetro will this perhaps be a better option for pregnancy. I have to go for surgery again this month to remove the endometriosis

Dear Misty

The recurrence rate of endometriosis differs from one person to the next. However the recurrence rate is high and about 60% of patients will have a recurrence within two years after treatment. By doing a D&C does not enhance your chances of getting pregnant sooner. If the endometriosis is severe and one has a long-standing history of infertility then in-vitro fertilization is the better option for pregnancy.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

Posted by: Misty | 2009-04-16

Thank you for your answer I do appreciate it, if I understand this correctly, I will still stand a chance of getting pregnant if we go the in-vitro route, what I mean the endometriosis will not have a effect then if we do it like that? Does Endometriosis appear in your womb as well or only in the lining inside your vagina

Reply to Misty
Posted by: Pally | 2009-04-06

I have a similar question. I have stage 4 endometriosis and one ovary functioning. I went for Laparoscopy in Sept 2007, i started using depo-provera in Feb 2008 until October 2008 (three injections, 3 Oct 2008 was the last 12th week). i have been off since Oct. We are planning to go for IVF end of April 2009.

My question is how long does endometriosis take to grow back? Does it mean i will have to go for another laparoscopy before we do the IVF?

Reply to Pally