Question
Posted by: S | 2011/02/09

Fertility Clinics restricting c-secs to 2

I was curious to find out why Fertility Clinics are restricting the maximum allowed c-secs to 2 where surrogates are concerned.

If I have completed my family of 3 and my gynae (who performed all my c-secs himself) is happy with me to have at least 5 c-secs, would the clinic assess my case or is this immediate reason for exclusion?

Ive spoken to surrogates in the states who say their individual cases are assessed and they have been permitted to have 6 c-secs. Do multiple c-secs hinder your chance of embryo''s attaching or is there an increased risk to the pregnancy / surrogate?

Thank you in advance.

Dear S

The main concern with repeated Caesarean sections is a risk of uterine rupture which is not only threatening to the life of the baby but also to that of the mother/surrogate. The burden of responsibility unfortunately rests on the fertility clinics to make that decision since the problem is initiated at that level. However I am sure exceptions can be made were the liability is taken by the previous obstetrician and clinic is therefore absolved. I agree with the concept of assessing individual cases on their merits and to have the necessary counseling and informed consent in place before proceeding.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2011/02/14

Dear S

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert