Posted by: I like to eat dairy foods | 2009-01-30

Fertility and dairy

I am considering a second pregnancy and are quite fond of dairy products. However, I recently came across confusing information on fertility and the consumption of dairy foods - stating that dairy could reduce in enhance fertility. I would love to read scientifically sound information on the impact of dairy food intake on fertility. Could you please help me in this regard?

Dear I like to eat dairy foods

To my knowledge there is no scientific basis on which to base such an association i.e. dairy products are not negatively related to conception rates. However, should there be a definite intolerant to dairy products, then there may well be an inadvertedly high immunoglobulin level and histamine levels which may contribute to fertility failure but I am not aware on any definite scientific papers that have specifically looked at this situation.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim