Question
Posted by: Peanut | 2011/07/12

Fertility After Tubal Pregnancy

3 weeks ago I went in for a laproscopy and salpingostomy to remove a tubal pregnancy and stop internal bleeding (my tube had burst). They managed to save the tube and 3 weeks on I seem to be healing well.
How long should my husband and I wait before we can have sex again?
And how long before I am healed internally (my tube), I would hate for this to happen again if I should fall pregnant after my first cycle.

Thank you.

Dear Peanut

It is important to note that after any ectopic pregnancy you have a small but definite increased risk of another ectopic pregnancy occurring. In some literature the risk may be high as 40%. Also your chances will strongly depend on the status of the unaffected tube. I would certainly allow at least 4 weeks from the time of the operation before resuming intercourse and perhaps allow for at least 2 months before attempting conception.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2011/07/21

Dear Peanut

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert