Question
Posted by: Sam | 2010/08/10

Fertility

Good day

I would like to know two things, my husband has finished Chemotherophy and getting ready for irradiation treatment. We didi not bank any sperm and oncologist suggested we could try bank some befor radiation starts - results came back as no sperm found. Now the quesion is 1:when would sperm production start returning and 2 :what are the real dangers around conception too soon after the treatment is completed,there seems to be no informtation/stats/facts on this exept waiting for 12-24 months.We are concerned about the fertilty damage as banking was not even advised befor treatment and now we live in limbo of what might happen in the next 12 month.

Please advise really want to have a family.

Dear Sam

Unfortunately the duration of recovery of sperm production is dependent on several factors including the combination of chemotherapy, the dosages used, the duration of treatment and also on the status of the sperm factors prior to the onset of treatment. Hence it is extremely difficult for me to predict the recovery to normal spermatogenesis or sperm production but in general it is in the region of 12 to 24 months.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2010/08/13

Dear Sam

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert