Posted by: Misty | 2009-06-05

I' m currently seeing a fertility dr he told me I have a problem with my mucus and the chances for pregancy is only 5 %, is there anything you can take that can heal this? Is it possible that a man can ejaculate two days apart and the second time there is no sperm perhaps or do a man always have sperm?

Dear Misty

The importance of cervical mucus as a fertility inhibitor is rather dubious and far too much emphasis is being placed on the value of cervical mucus in isolation. The causes of cervical mucus problems are usually based on an underlying hormonal factor and this needs to be established and corrected as a precursor to any further treatment. However the presence of antisperm-antibodies in cervical mucus is a different situation and may require intrauterine insemination as a method of treatment. This problem requires careful evaluation by means of a post coital test and is diagnosed under microscopy. The absence of sperm in the ejaculate may be an indication of possible retrograde ejaculation and this problem needs to be evaluated by an urologist. However in cases of too frequent intercourse one may encounter a similar problem although this is somewhat of a rare occurrence.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Posted by: Misty | 2009-07-16

Dr. thank you for the above answer, what treatment can I get to improve my " Mucus" , becuase of the fact that the dr said after he did the test under the microscope, that there is a problem with my mucus and no sperm was seen.

Reply to Misty