Question
Posted by: Spho | 2008-11-07

Fertility

I grew up hearing people say that one should have a baby before she turns 30, i never bothered to ask the reasons behind this. Now am 31 trying to fall pregnant, its been 4 months now no luck.
I have a normall cycle of 28 days, i normally menstruate 5 days, but this month i am now on my 8th day. i would like to know what happens to a womans body after 30, and also do I need to worry about the fact that I am now on the 8th day of menstruation?

Dear Spho

Most people say that you should try and have a baby before you turn 30, simply because fertility potential starts deteriorating with advance in age. A women’s ability to conceive generally starts deteriorating from the age of 35 onwards. The fact that you have a normal cycle indicates that you are probably ovulating. I don’t think you need to worry, as you have only been trying to fall pregnant for the last 4 months. You should be only concerned if a further 8 months goes by and you have still not conceived after having regular intercourse. If after that period of time, no pregnancy occurs, then my suggestion is for you to see your gynaecologist so that tests can be done to see if there are any particular causes for this.