Question
Posted by: Confused | 2009-03-25

Fertile &  Ovalution

What does fertile days mean and what does ovalution days mean.

Working out on the calander (internet) My next ovalution day is 4 April and my fertile days are from 04/02/09 - 04/07/2009.

Will i get pregnant after that as well?

Dear Confused

It is important to bear in mind that once the egg is released (ovulation has taken place) the egg is fertilizable for a very short period (24-36 hours only). Therefore using the calendar method is fairly unreliable and it would be best to use and alternative, more accurate form of ovulation monitoring such as LH urine testing kits or ultrasound scanning. Beyond the 36 hours it is unlikely for conception to occur. However the fact that sperm may survive in the female genital tract for up to 5 days will allow you latitudes of around the ovulation day and therefore this method is still recommended in some circles.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim