Posted by: m | 2010-05-26

I have the hpv virus, i was just wondering, my period is always on time, sometimes out with a day or two, but thats only when i drink antibiotics or so. I think i ovulate every month because i always have the white mucus or whatever they call it. i just want to know, because i have the virus, will that have any influence if i want to get pregnant someday, and the fact that i menstruate correctly and ovulate(i think) is that a certainty that i will get pregnant someday, cause i realy want children and im just scared that this virus will ruin it for me. when i were at the gynae he felt my baarmoeder en eierstokke(sorry dont know the english words) and said he doesnt feel anything wrong

Dear M

The most important thing about being aware of an infection with HPV virus is having pre-cancerous lesions on the cervix. So it is important in your particular case to have regular pap smears. However the HPV virus maybe also present with other sexually transmitted diseases. These may include Chlamydia and
Gonococcal infections. If these infections are present they may cause damage to the fallopian tubes. If damage to the fallopian tubes were present then this certainly would affect the chances of falling pregnant some day. The fact that you are menstruating correctly and possibly ovulating, and that the uterus and ovaries appear normal does not necessarily mean that all is okay. If your concern about fertility is important then your doctor can send you for an HSG which is a X-ray of the fallopian tube too see if they are open or not. If they are open then the chances of the HPV affecting your chances of fertility may not be that important.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo