Posted by: H | 2009-03-24

Ferritin levels

Is a ferrtin level of 34 too low? My physician seems to think it is OK, but I don`t feel better after having received IV Iron. An article recommended by one of Cyberdoc`s doctors (on Sunday) that I read on Wikipedia states that a low ferritin level is <  50mg/mL - does that mean that the ferritin count of 34 on my lab report means that my Ferritin count is below the 50 mg/mL? I`m not to clued up on this and my doctor is very busy and can`t speak to me himself. I do however need to make sure of the facts before I go to another doctor. (At present Iron level is 8.5 and Hb 11)

Please help me as I am really desperate to figure out this problem. By 15:30 in the afternoon I am so tired and the doctor says my counts are OK. I disagree. What is your opinion?

Dear H
A HB of 11 is a little below normal - we usually want it around 12
Normal ferritin levels in SA are : FEMALE: 20 - 100 ng/ml MALE: 20 - 385 ng/ml (Lancet lab)
Normal Iron levels are : Females: 9.0 - 30.4 umol/L Males: 11.6 - 31.3 umol/L (Lancet lab)
(just watch out in what kind of way it is reported - micromol/litre versus mg/dl)
Have you also looked for other reasons for the tiredness like thyroid function etc?
See also

Posted by: Corlia | 2016-05-24

What does a ferritin level of 5.6 mean

Reply to Corlia