Question
Posted by: Nandie Bahlmann | 2011/11/01

Ferritin

My ferritin count was 5 after which I was given ferritin meds with vitamin C. After three months the count is only 15. What can cause this?

Nandie

If your ferritin levels are low, you are at risk for iron deficiency anemia. Low ferritin levels are often associated with restless legs syndrome, without the presence of anemia. Low ferritin levels may also be an indication of hypothyroidism, vitamin C deficiency and celiac disease.

I therefore, suggest that you ask your doctor to investigate the cause for your low ferritin levels.