Question
Posted by: Gracie | 2009-07-22

Feral Cat and my Kitty

Hi Cybervet

I adopted a cat about a year ago. She appeared in our garden very thin and unkempt. Needless to say we adore her. She has managed to get along with our very cheeky 8 year old cross female Maltese and that takes some doing!

Very gentle kitty, lovely nature. The thing is that her " boyfriend"  is a huge, grey, unfriendly cat. He is kind of the neighborhood bully so to speak. She avoids him, but he has started coming into our home. The other day my mom who is retired heard her shriek and both she and our dog dashed to the lounge to find her cowering behind the chair. Our dog gave chase but the male cat was gone. Grracie our cat allowed our dog to smell her all over and she seemed very concerned about the cat. What to do? I have chased this cat away and I am surprised that it would come into our home with a dog in the home. No-one can actually catch this cat, we have no idea where it lives in the area and it looks like a bigger version of mine i.e. large Grey/silver tabby. He runs like the wind, I know, I chased him down the road once and I am an animal lover.

The other thing is (seriously) this cat eat chicken curry. She actually asks for it. My friend said maybe her owners came from Durban and she got lost in the move. Can a cat actually really enjoy curry!!! My dog loves broccoli (I kid you not she will take that off a plate even if there is meat on it), loves butternut, loves sweet potatoe, loves apples, loves pasta, loves rice, and loves curry. We phoned the vet to ask if she could have a deficiency and he said No. Same for the cat. they are both on granules from the vet, both look healthy and so on.

We don t feed them rubbish i.e. the dog gets a little treat now and then but she has a very sensitive skin so mostly no.

The other thing is that the cat coughs as if it is a fur ball but nothing happens. I was told about a product that helps them expel fur balls but I just cannot find it.

Both animals are contented, bright eyed and so on. Adorable. But the feral cat and the veggie and curry thing is just weird or is it???

Tx

Hallo Gracie

Phone the local SPCA and ask if they can assit you with this cat. They have cages that will allow them to have a look at the cat and neuter him as well. This may stop the wandering about.

Laxapet for hairballs is available at most vetshops/vets.

1
Posted by: Carol | 2009-07-22

Is your kitty spayed ??? if so then this other cat is looking for a home to move into .... I suggest you try and trap him ....and have him neutered and he will become a sweet boy ..I have two of these tatty strays that moved in and they have become the most adorable affectionate cats.

Im also in KZN and my cats love curry , and veggies and soup and whatever else is going so its not weird .

About the furballs ask your vet .

Reply to Carol