Posted by: Eugenie Kemp | 2011-11-25

Female orgasmic disorder

I am a 54 year old woman. The last couple of months I have had difficulty in reaching an orgasm. What could be the problem? I never any difficulty what-so-ever. Is there a cure?

Dear Eugenie,

It is not uncommon for women as they age to at some point be confronted with changes in her orgasmic capacity. What is known is that due to the natural process of aging and the changes to skin tone, muscle tone, neurolgical apathy etc, women (and men) need to adjust and increase the focus and intensity of sexual stimulation to induce sexual arousal and orgasm. So it is possible that you have reached a stage where the type of stimulation (in focus and intensity) that worked before is no longer sufficient and you need to adjst them.

You also need to take into consideration whether recently you have developed any physical or psychological difficulties that impact on your mood, bloodvessel system, hormone system or neurological system and the medications that go with them. Any medication and illness that suppresses the central nervous system, and which impacts on the hormonal and vascular system, could result in difficulty with orgasm.