Posted by: milo | 2011-06-28

Female dog in heat

I have a 5 and half year old doberman pincher female dog. She got pregnant about 4 years ago but all the babies were stillborn. She never went in heat again. She started now again last week thursday. My other two dogs are male and are going crazy (me too) The vet told us not to worry about her going in heat again because there was too much damage. That is why she has not been sterilized yet. The other two are now sterilizing age (have been saving to get both done at the same time as that was advised)
How long will this go on? I saw yesterday that the swelling has started to subside, but the boys are still crazy as ever and not backing down. I do not want her to go through that ordeal again. When will it be safe to put her back out with the other two because I can see that she does not like to be away from them as it is lonely for her.

Hi Milo

It is difficult for me to pin point what stage of the reproductive cycle your bitch is in without doing a clinical examination and microscopic examination of cells from the reproductive tract.

The bitch has a 4 stage reproductive cycle. They are as follows:

Pro-oestrus – lasts around 9 days; males attracted to the bitch; female is non receptive; vulva lips are swollen; vaginal discharge – bloody; frequent urination and restleness.

Oestrus – lasts between 9-11 days but can go as long as 21 days; female receptive to the dogs (mating will occur); less blood in the discharge.

Dioestrus – lasts around 2 months, sexual inactivity.

Anoestrus – lasts between 4-4.5 months, sexual inactivity.

I suspect that your dog may be in her entering the oestrus phase and would advise that you keep her separated from the dogs. If separation is difficult then discuss the use of heat suppression drugs (hormone’s) with your local vet or even spaying the dog.

Dr Campbell

Posted by: Chill | 2011-06-28

It takes around 3 weeks or so, but the effects may last a bit longer.

I must say I am mystified about your vet''s advice not to sterilise her. He above all should know that damage or not, an unsterilised bitch is at risk of various ailments, cancer being one of the main ones. Save up some more and get her done too, because you''ll quite likely enhance both the quality and the duration of her life.

Reply to Chill