Question
Posted by: Vina | 2011-07-01

Female dog has bad cough

Hi my 7 or 8 year old female dog has a very bad cough it sounds like croup, is there anything I can give her? I cannot afford to take her to the vet at the moment, please can you advise me of what I can do.

Hello Vina,

It may be kennel cough: Kennel cough is a highly contagious form of infection of the airways. It can be caused by bacteria or viruses, and the resultant disease will be virtually indistinguishable.

It causes harsh and very loud and persistent coughing, of sudden onset. They may or may not have fever and eye discharge. They can get it from any other sick or carrier dog, just like we catch a cold.

It is usually treated using antibiotics and possibly cough suppressants. It can be prevented to a great extent (but not completely) by vaccinations. Coughing may last anything from days to weeks, and will need special attention especially if the patient loses its appetite, other cough becomes moist or it is running a fever.

Dogs can get kennel cough even if they do not go to a kennel. The cough can persist for about 2 weeks. Sometimes a cough suppressant is needed and in some cases antibiotics as well. We usually prefer to treat these animals with antibiotics to prevent them developing pneumonia. Most of them recover sooner from the disease if they are on antibiotics.

2
Posted by: CyberVet | 2011-07-04

Hello Vina,

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Chill | 2011-07-01

She may have an infection.

She may have a growth or tumour.

She may have an allergy.

She may have something stuck in her throat.

She may have a heart condition.

Make arrangements with your vet for you to pay off his bill, or pay it whenever - but get the dog seen to. If you''re lucky, it''s nothing serious and all she needs is an antibiotic.

Reply to Chill