Question
Posted by: Bobo | 2009-04-08

Fell of the diet wagon

Hi doc,

firstly just want to say your advice that you give is great.

Now seeing as the diet doc is away I thought I should ask you and you may be able to help.

I gave up eating chocolate (I used to have chocolate at least 3 times a week but I haven' t eaten any in over a month). I haven' t been able to give up chips but I haven' t eaten more than usual.

I have increased my walking from AT MOST 10 minutes a day to about 30/40 minutes a day. I' ve also increased my liquid intake (I drink an extra litre a day- before I used to have about 4 cups of coffee) and I am eating provitas as a mid morning snack instead of only eating at 13:30 (breakfast at 07:40). I know these little changes will benefit me in the long run BUT...

I ate a WHOLE packet of Simba chips this evening, followed by some sherbert. I haven' t had any other snack the whole week. I did some jumping jacks, sit ups and some other light exercise in shame (it wasn' t much as I am unfit but I felt I had to do something).

How badly will this affect my weight loss plan?

Hi Bobo

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Obviously, you have to look at it and ask why it happened and what you can change in the future to avoid this sudden "binge", but this journey to weight loss/health is a marathon, not a sprint. So obviously, if you're doing a marathon, you can't afford to constantly make errors and let yourself go, but you also shouldn't beat yourself up over one incident. It's very difficult to maintain the kind of "cold turkey" approach you've adopted, and I think the slip up you've had is a sign of the enormous discipline you require. But don't hammer yourself for this incident.

Rather accept it and learn from it, and then try to control how it happens in the future. And don't be too regimented or disciplined, forcing yourself into this kind of risky mindset, if that makes sense?

1
Posted by: noddy | 2009-04-10

It' s clear that you are becoming obsessed with food and exercise. Rather stop that before it becomes a problem. Just enjoy your ' treat'  every now and then and then do extra 15mins walking or weight training the next day. Don' t feel guilty about food you' ve already eaten, because there' s nothing you can do about that... only make yourself work hard next time and maybe choose a ' healthier snack alternative'  next time!
like  dried fruit and nuts / yoghurt and museli / roast veggie bites / dried cranberries &  pumpkin seeds / protein shake.

Reply to noddy