Question
Posted by: Helen | 2010/02/08

Fell of the diet bandwagon

Hi doc, I had the most terrible migraine today and couldn' t keep anything down long enough to take painkillers... Except biscuits, for some reason. So I ate a whole bunch of Gossip biscuits (they have about 5 layers of wafer with creamy filling inbetween). I also ate half a slab of chocolate mousse chocolate that my hubby bought me. Then after I took the painkillers I had a bowl of stew. I completely fell of the wagon- will this affect my weight loss? I did 30 minutes of walking today which is half the amount I usually do.

Dear Helen
I am sorry to hear that you had such a severe migraine today. It is quite usual for patients to have disturbed eating patterns associated with migraines. Please take care that your slimming does not make the migraines worse. If this should happen then you may need to have a medical checkup to see if you suffer from low blood sugar? Weightloss is determined by your energy intake and expenditure over longer periods than one day. So even if you had some high-sugar foods today (possibly your body's attempt to increase your brain serotonin levels), and you stick to a balanced diet for the rest of the week and do your exercise, this will even out. Do NOT try starving yourself or suddenly go overboard with the exercise to "make up" for today - this can trigger more migraines. Just give your body a bit of time to recover and carry on as usual.

1

Dear Helen