Question

Feline scabs

Hi, Doc

I noticed this week a small patch of scabs behind my kitten''s ear.No redness or tenderness yet seen, but I''m afraid if my cat scratch it longer, it might get infected. It is a bit flaky and is no where else on his body.

what cause it, how can I treat it &  prevent it from happening again? Where can I buy any product to help?

Many thanks

Hi Anon You need to check the cats ears to ensure that they are clean - possible ear infection. In additioncheck the skin and ensure that there are no fleas/ticks present as this can also initiate a skin ittitation. Treatment would include cutting the hair around the wound and then cleaning with ditute hibitane/povidine iodine solution (or salty water may help). Then apply a wound cream that you can purchase at a vet shop and apply. You may have to apply bandages or socks to the cats back feet to prevent the cat from stratching the wound. If the problem persists then you need to visit your vet.

2
Posted by: Chill | 2010/08/23

Ummm... this seems a little over the top - you aren''t treating an actual wound, according to your post.

Make sure your kitten doesn''t have fleas - and not all fleas are visible. Don''t fiddle with the flakiness - just keep an eye on the area. If you see oozing, or signs of infection, then try the cybervet''s recommendations. Frankly I think you''ll find that as long as the kitten is completely free of fleas, and is otherwise healthy, the flakes will just go away.

If not, then next time you have it vaccinated, get your vet to have a look.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010/08/23

Reply to CyberVet