Question
Posted by: Shellbe | 2011/09/22

Feline Leukemia

I have a 12 year old persian with leukemia which he has had for 4 years. Our vet has told us that there is no treatment aside from him being on the best possible diet which he is.

My question is what can I put on his open sores?

He is like one of my children and still behaves as he did from a kitten, there is no sign of deminished quality of life. We decided that when the time comes we will have him put down as we dont want him to suffer, but I really want to help in in any way I can now.

If anyone has any information or advice, Id be more than grateful. Thank you in advance.

Hi Shellbe

You need to use an antibiotic/anti-inflammatory cream on the open sores. In addition try and limit the cat’s ability to scratch/lick open areas.

Some management guidelines for Felv cats.
1. Try and confine indoors – this will limit viral spread within the feline community and reduce your cat's exposure to infectious agents.
2. Avoid feeding uncooked meat – reduced exposure to bacterial and parasitic infections.
3. Have regular check-ups – every 6 months.
4. Treatment of infections – broad spectrum antibiotics and non steroidal anti-inflammatories (NSAID’s). The use of cortisones should be avoided.
5. Antiviral therapy – Feline Interferon Omega may help in alleviating the development of Felv clinical sign’s and increase longevity. AZT is another product that may prolong life expectancy : dose 5-10mg/kg every 12hrs.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards
Angus Campbell

1
Posted by: CyberVet | 2011/09/23

Hi Shellbe

I hope this helps.

Kind regards
Angus Campbell

Reply to CyberVet