Question
Posted by: Jojo | 2012/04/04

Feline Cardiomyopathy

My 12 year old cat has lost quite a lot of weight recently and when I took him to the vet on Saturday his immediate thought was diabeties. This was ruled out and after blood tests and heart scan it was picked up that his heart muscle is thickened out and thus causing all the problems. We now have to give the cat Fortecor 5 &  Norvasc daily for life. That''s no problem to me, but it devastates me to know my little angel is so ill. He''s not really eating very well this week and I''m just wondering if that''s one of the side effects from the meds. He can''t afford to lose any more weight as he''s just a little bone bag at the moment.
Also last night he was hungry, but not for any pet food so I can him some small pieces of raw chicken which he loved. However, a few hours later he was gagging / retching.
Any suggestions on how I can help him to start eating properly again (gain his appetite) and how long before the meds start to work their magic and help him feel a little better?

One last question., We have to give him 1/8 of this tiny tablet - how on earth do you measure that? When I tried to cut it with a sharp knife it just splintered into pieces and not 8....

Thanks for your help.

Hi Jojo

Sorry to hear about your beloved cat.

It is very difficult to say when your cat will have a response to the medication as it depends on the condition diagnosed and the severity of the problem.

With cat that do not eat I usually insert a nasogastric tube or a oesophageal tube.Both are very well tolerated and can assist in feeding your cat.

I hope that you get a speedy recovery.

Kind regards

Angus Campbell

1
Posted by: CyberVet | 2012/04/24

Hi Jojo

Sorry to hear about your beloved cat.

I hope that you get a speedy recovery.

Kind regards

Angus Campbell

Reply to CyberVet