Question
Posted by: dee | 2012-10-05

feet pains

dear dr
i cant walk on heels it gives ma calus
2 of my toe nails are like discoloured
I have been using clear nail for about 10 months its not working
can the nails be removed will it grow back healthy and normal like the others
can there be corrective surgery done on my feet to straighten the toe next to the big one apparently that bone is not straight thts why there is pressure on the ball of the foot
Also my heels get dry and cracky no matter how much i use heel balm

Expert ImagePodiatrist

Thank you for your question. Callouses develops in areas where there is increased pressure or friction. Thickened, discoloured nails are often due to damage to the nail and nailbed which also makes it more prone to contracting a fungal infection. I would strongly recommend that you see a podiatrist that would be able to reduce the callouses/ hard skin and also advise on the correct treatment of your nails as well as reduce the thickness. For your nearest podiatrsit contact PASA (podiatry association of south africa) www.podiatrist.co.za or 0861 100 249