Feet cramps

Lately I have been getting painfull cramps in my toes at night. I have problomatic feet and wonder if the cramps are caused by my shoes? Everybody seems to think it is a sodium deficiency, but I am sceptic. What if all the salt have a negative effect on my health?

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Anonymous

There are a few potential causes. Cramps in the toes at night can be circulation related if you have peripheral vascular disease. The most likely cause is shoes that do not fit well or have too much heel. The question of salt and the effect on your health is one for a dietitian.

Posted by: Jeanne | 2009-07-16

My toes cramp and pull towards my instep and have to pushed back and held down otherwise cramp continues to my ankle and up to my calf muscle - it is almost as if my muscle is shortening. I also cannot stand on tippy toes or go on my haunches for more than a minute otherwise my calves go into immediate cramp

Reply to Jeanne