Posted by: nicole | 2009-08-26

feeling worse after treatment

I went to my gp with sore head/face, blocked ears, congested nose, tickle that developed into full blown cough. She said it was sinusitis that had developed into a secondary infection. So she prescribed Expigen (I' m breastfeeding) and Virisol nose spray. She said that if however I do not feel better 3 days in, to get the antibiotic she prescribed (Sandoz Cefuroxime). I have been on it for a day now (took one yesterday morning and one last night) However on waking up this morning, I felt like I had been hit by a bus. So lethargic, slightly achy, head so stuffy. Why am I feeling worse? What could be the reason? I honestly thought after starting the antibiotic course I would feel a whole lot better.

Dear Nicole
You are probably too hasty - antibiotics usually need time to work - at least 48 to 72 hours - so stay in bed, and take your medication, unless you have very high fever, can't keep food or water in or down, or become very short of breath or develop neck stiffness and severe headache or a red rash. Then you need to see your doctor immediately.