Question
Posted by: Shana | 2012/05/03

feeling very reliant on meds

Hi Cybee

I have been put on Cymgen, my first medication after ten years of chronic depression which led to a complete breakdown, landing me in hosp for ten days. I am on 60mg a day and feel so wonderful. At night I take Seroquel.

I am so happy on these two drugs I see them as part of my life. I get panicky at the mere thought of ever coming off them. Are these the kind of drugs one can take for many many years? I get so worried I will relapse into some horrible state without them. They honestly feel like air to me  as strange as it seems I even talk to the boxes.

I just feel so happy and calm in life now. I have been able to get into a relationship after ten years as a lonely single mother and everyone says there is a ilght in my eyes. To think of ever coming off the drugs makes my heart thud. Do you think I would be out of order to ask my psychiatrist to pls not ever take me off them?

I feel like I am on life support, that''s what they feel like to me. I was not living before, I had a pulse and I moved and spoke and ate and slept but I was a dead being. I find I am even begininng to like myself. I never thought this possible and I credit it to the drugs.

I have been on them about a month, Seroquel maybe two weeks. First time sleeping thru the night in a decade. Also I am able to sleep 8 hours now. I needed 10 - 12 hours before. I cannot go without these drugs, I have a life now and am scared someone will take my life support away from me.

I'm very pleased to hear how well you are feeling.
These, and many other related drugs are indeed safe to take for many years, and many people have done so, with real and continuing benefits.
With one or two single episodes of depression, opne may be able to take such drugs for 9 to 12 months and then, if symptom free, could GRADUALLY reduce the dosages and remain well. Where depression has been chronic, or where there have been 3 or more episodes, its generally considered safer to remain on the meds, and remain well.
Sometimes its wise, with the advice of your shrink, to revise the meds, to improve the results ; sometimes one might swing up into a manic phase of feeling rather too good, which would also need a revision of the meds, but work with your shrink, and you ought to be able to remain well.

1