Question
Posted by: Gloria | 2012/05/02

Feeling unmotivated

I have a history of anxiety and depression but have responded well to medication. However, I have recently been feeling very unmotivated and not up to life. I’ m not necessarily depressed but my activity of choice at the moment is staying at home and doing nothing, preferably sleeping. Doing the washing, cleaning, doing the dishes –  I just never feel like doing anything. At work, I also feel unmotivated. Should I just try and get myself to be more positive and get my thoughts right or should I be thinking of contacting my psychiatrist for a change in medication?

This could, of course, be depression rearing up again, as not all depressions present themselves with a noticeably sad mood. Maybe ask your psychiatrist's opinion, as he presumably knows you well. Also counselling / psychotherapy of the CBT format could be helpful to move towards more positive patterns of thinking and behaving.

1