Posted by: old | 2008-11-18

feeling older than I am

I am 58, obviously menopausal, (hysterectomy many years ago so I don' t know when exactly the meno paused), take no hormones just black cohosh, with policosinal, take diabecinn, chromium piconilate, CaMg, ginseng, coq10, venavine, vitamins for over 45s, etc just in case of diabetes, mental deterioration, etc. Fasting blood sugar is 6.1. I am 20kg overweight and unfit but on a very gradual fitness buiklding programme (because i get severely sore muscles if I exercise too much- which is not much at all by normal standards), blood pressure fluctuates between 130 and 150 at various checkups at resting heart rate with no caffeine intake- no idea why it fluctuates, I sweat a great deal- looks like hot flushes to me- I go red in the face and feel very hot and sweat copiously- this happens day and night and especially after eating or drinking anything but water. I don' t drink alcohol or smoke. My ankles are always swollen at the end of the day and I have some varicose veins but they don' t hurt. My legs cramp a lot at night and sometimes when I am shopping. I don' t wera heels.I have frequent episodes of not thinking clearly- sort of cotton-wool head- and losing track of the conversation or not being able to express myself clearly.I lose concentration which never ever happened before- I was always studying new things- now it' s so hard to remember new things My spine feels very stiff at the top from my shoulder bldes level upwards and often I wake up with aching or pins and needles arms at night. I need more sleep than anyone else i know, but don' t sleep deeply.I am permanently on eltroxin and the amount is correct. I used to be very articulate and highly intelligent. but that seems to be going. I just feel as if all this- the mind going, the muscles hurting, tiredness, sweating, aching legs, spine stiffness, could be more than just menopause.I don' t know what to think, but I feel like an old person and it bothers me. What can I do?. What treatment do I need?.

Dear Old
The fact that you don't sleep deeply can cause a deficiency in serotonin, which can cause tiredness, concentration problems, muscle aches and pains, Ask your GP to do a full medical examination and consider if using a SSRI like Aropax may help. He also need to see if you have a pinched nerve in the upper back, maybe due to slipped disc?