Posted by: Girl23 | 2009-04-23

Feeling lost and out of place

Dear CS

I desperately need career guidance. I have no qualifications. I am working full-time for a good company but I am not gaining as much experience as I should be. I do not want to go into too much detail about that. I have done one course through the company lately I have not been using it at work. It' s so quiet here. Main problem is that we have two offices. I work at one where it' s just me and the manager. There isn' t always work going on here for me but our other office is the busiest. I would like to go work with them and gain more knowledge but I don' t see this happening anytime soon in the near future. Basically what I do at the office is answer the phone, I do the filing, now and again I get the odd flight booking I need to do and then book accommodation for people. I have been taught basic website administration, composing e-newsletters etc but don' t even ask me how to design a website. I know I am not as worse off as some people but this isn' t me. I do not fit in here at all. Days can go by where I will have no work to do and I sit and twiddle my thumbs.

Growing up I feel I was never prepared for the big wide world. My parents never made plans for to to attend university, not that it is their fault. I know they could' ve let me go but why was I so blind about this. They let my younger sister go study in Pretoria. She was there for a year and now she is home doing nothing. She is not qualified at all. This makes me feel so left out. Every time I mention studying to my parents they immediately go back to my sister completing her studies in sports science. My family is mad about sports where as I am concerned, I am crazy about the human mind, human behaviour, etc. No one wants to listen to me at home. I don' t know what to do. Til this day I am in dire need to study and get a degree of some sort. Just to study something. It' s become such an obession. I will browse the internet and look at all the different distance learning courses there are available and then I feel so stuck because I have no idea what I want to do. I was thinking of completing a Tourism course since I am in the tourism industry (gaining nothing so to speak). I am gratefull for what I do know but it' s not enough. I want to get far in life. I want to be able to be independant, to be able to purchase my first car, to live in my own place. How can I do this?? I know Rome wasn' t built in a day. I' m turning 24 this year. If I had studied right after school I' d have graduated by now. I should' ve known better. I was never grounded from the start about life, careers etc. Apologies that this post is so long.

I hope other readers can be helpful here, as this isn't my area of exprtise. I believe companies have certain duties and encouragements to provide further training and qualiication opportunities for their workers. Some psychologists specialize in vocational guidance, andcan provide tests which measure both what you're good at and what you most like doing, a good basis for sound advice on career selection.

I feel exactly the same as you.
Mail me, would like to chat- zee dot help 4you at gmail dot com

Posted by: Liza | 2009-04-23

As CS has said - a good vocational psychologist can help you out immensely with tests to see where your interests lie.

If you can get to Unisa in Pretoria, they have a whole department to help people with vocational assessments and choices. You don' t even have to be a student with them (yet).

Good Luck

Reply to Liza
Posted by: Liza | 2009-04-23

Reply to Liza