Question
Posted by: peter snyman | 2012/07/24

feeling like i am not contributing dejected at work

I have worked in my job for several years - I am only 51 and quite senior. Lately I have started to feel that I am useless - seems like I am not able to pay enough attention to things anymore and I feel that my work is suffering - wondering if it could be depression, but I am not feeling " depressed" , just worthless if it makes sense! I have all the trappings, the position and the money that goes with it - happy at home (even sex life is ok - even able to fit in a bit of swinging here and there, which is cool), but just feel like I no longer " fit" . I have difficulty remembering things in meetings and when I am questioned, even about things I should know, I seem to be unable to respond properly - can you give me any pointers? Sometimes I wish I could start all over again with a clean slate and not have to remember so many things all at once.

Excellent response from Purple. It can be a bit of a vicious cycle - for various reasons one finds work less satisfying ; which is somewhat depressing, which makes it harder for one to get really engaged in the work, which becomes less satisfying, and so on.
Depression may but doesn't necessarily, include an obvious sad mood, and can, as Purple suggests, include a range of unpleasant emotions. In my experience, swinging is rarely a truly happy hobby, and often arises from relationships that are not going well. As one gets older, memory isn't as sharp as it once was - but a whole range of medical causes, physical and psychpological can also interfere with this. Maybe the first step would be to get a full checkup from a good GP, and go from there

3
Posted by: Phil | 2012/07/25

Maybe you should find out why you feel like that? Sometimes when we have everything  and induldge is something that deed down inside might be eating away at us. Can cause some form of depression to.
You mentioned a bit of swining here and there. Trust me  the darkness invlved in that  can start to cloud the good energy without you realising it. Been there  and know whatI''m saying.
Might not be your troubles  but if everything is so good yet you are feeling down. Maybe?

Reply to Phil
Posted by: Purple | 2012/07/25

Depression isn''t a feeling of being depressed or sad. Depression is a feeling of worthlessness, irritability, anger, loss of interest in what is going on around you, obsession with yourself (which can seem like extreme selfishness to those around).

Not feeling needed and useful at work is a devastating blow to many people. It can help to try to change that, but sometimes it can''t be changed because of structures and work flows and so on, in that case, it helps to find meaning for yourself in hobbies and other interests, so that you feel needed and useful elsewhere.

Reply to Purple