Question
Posted by: Nikki | 2011/11/02

Feeling Hopeless

Dear Doc

I''m a 32 years old female and I don''t know what''s wrong with me and I''m feeling absolutely terrified and hopeless.

The problems started sometime last year when I noticed a strange sensation in my throat - I couldn''t really describe it at the time, it felt like a lump but it would come and go and I didn''t really give it much thought.

Then In December last year things started to get really bad. I experienced heart palpitations and tremors, I felt very emotional all the time, feeling like I was in a kind of mental fog and battled to focus on anything, my skin became very dry and my legs would bruise a lot more easily than usual, etc.

The first GP sent me for a whole host of blood tests, including thyroid levels, but everything was normal. He suggested that I seek help for anxiety but in my heart of hearts I knew something else was up.

In February this year I sought a second opinion from a GP who sent me for a thyroid ultrasound which revealed a multinodular goitre. More blood tests followed and still all results were normal, so he referred me to a physician. The physician''s advice was to wait it out for a few months to see if it might resolve spontaneously.

The plan was to go for 3 monthly follow up blood tests and see him again towards the end of the year. So far all my tests have remained normal.

I have to see the physician again at the end of November and while I appreciate his conservative approach, I just don''t know how much longer I can go on like this.

The palpitations can go on for hours or even days at a time which I find very unsettling. I get frustrated to the point where I feel I could claw my way up the walls. I hate that I battle so to focus on anything - I feel unproductive and useless. The other symptoms have persisted - I''m not feeling any better than I did in Feb.

Sometimes I feel panic-stricken - like I''m never going to feel normal again. Whatever is wrong with me is affecting every aspect of my life. I’ m not exactly on the verge of putting a gun in my mouth, but it has crossed my mind that death might be the only solution.

I come from a smallish town so access to specialists is limited - the nearest endocrinologist is 5 hours away.

I guess I''m just tired of hearing that my tests are normal when I feel anything but.

What you are describing sounds very much like a mixture of the typical physical and emotional symptoms of anxiety and depression, and I would have had you properly assessed by a psychiatrist long before sending you for thyroid tests or other blood tests. And if nothing wrong was found on blood tests I see no point whatsoever in repeating them at intervals.
A goitre might contribute if making excessive thyroid hormone, but that would show on blood tests. And it wouldn't just go away.
It may be fortunate that you are distant from an endocrinologist. See a good psychiatrist for a full assessment, and medication for anxiety and depression might well reduce or even gradually remove these unpleaant symptoms

1