Question
Posted by: gg | 2008/06/19

Feeling guilty

Dear CS

Problem no 1:

I come from a backround where going to church and religion is taboo. However, for as long as I can remember I would like to belong to a church and I have deceided that I am going this Sunday. Not only do I want to learn more about religion, I also like the social aspect of a church community. Given my non religious backround I feel guilty about wanting to go to church and I fear my family will make fun of my wanting to go to church. My mother was religios and I was christerned, but she died when I was 4.

Probelm no. 2

I feel very guilty about not making time to exercise ever. I know it is good to exercise and I would really like to start, but I never seem to find that starting point. When I have started on the odd occation I gave up soon after. I just don't find enjoyment in it. It feels like a punshment instead.

I am 52 and I feel really stupid and guilty about both these issues. Why am I holding back, when I really want to do both?

Your family was disrespectful of your mother and her wishes, and of your own interests. Parents and families who themselves don't feel especially interested in religion should allow a child to experience it and learn about it, and make their own free choice, without ever ridiculing the choice the person makes. GO ahead, explore, go to church, and see --- if you find comfort in that way, keep at it and ignore the empty comments of others.
As for 2, its an issue of starting a good habit -- een if only 5 minutes a day at first, then expanding, to make it less of a big deal. Don't start with marathons !

4
Posted by: Where | 2008/06/19

Phontie,where in Joburg can i find church of christ?

Reply to Where
Posted by: gg | 2008/06/19

Thanks for your encouragement everyone!!!

Reply to gg
Posted by: Phontie | 2008/06/19

Hi gg
if you are around Gauteng please go and visit Johannesberg Church Of Chris there sister you will find live that church i s not about money but god and your well being...

Reply to Phontie
Posted by: dot | 2008/06/19

Hi gg
I cant comment on problem #1, but on problem #2 you have to persevere. Go through the motions even though you hate it. Do 5 minutes, but do it. After a few weeks you will actually start enjoying and become addicted like me.

Reply to dot