Posted by: Shelley | 2012-11-16

Feeling down

My father recently passed away and I am obviously feeling very sad at the mo. I am on 20mg Trpilene for headaches and my Doc said this should help me get through this but I am really feeling down. I don''t want to do anything. Eating is even a mission.

Grief is very hard work. And it takes a long time - at least 9 months to start really getting through it. Antdepressant and other drugs are useless for this purpose - this is not at all what they are designed to do. The best source of help would be to see a good and experienced counsellor, someone with experience in helping people work through their grief. Talk about things to the extent you want to ( you don't have to ) with family, friends, anyone who can sincerely listen, and take your time to adjust to this. We move on, gradually, to being free to remember the person with love for all that they were and all the time we did have with them, rather than only feeling bitter and sad that they are no longer physically present to us. Your local hospice may be able to suggest one or more good local counsellors with the right sort of experience to be useful to you

Posted by: Phil | 2012-11-18

Are you batteling to sleep? If so. Sleep is the most important part of dealing with any form of pain. When you don''t sleep  you get more and more tired and more depressed. Sleeping also allows ou subconcious mind to work through things and dreams do help. If you aren''t gettingenough sleep  try a good sleeping pill for a while. And like Doc said  dealing with loss takes time.

Reply to Phil
Posted by: tim | 2012-11-17

i have experienced the same. don''t worry. just take it one day at a time. keep your mind occupied on your work or studies and you will start to feel better. The fact is we all have to die one day. important thing is to appreciate the role the person played and don''t hold on to to the person in your mind and have a quiet confidence that the Almighty knows what He is doing and it is beyond us to know.

Reply to tim
Posted by: Leila | 2012-11-16

Ohh my dear Shelley, I feel for you and hope that you feel better soon. I feel your pain and am with you so please bear this difficulty with patience. You will need some more time to deal with the bereavement and I wish everything of the best for you.

Reply to Leila