Question
Posted by: anon | 2010/09/21

Feeling down

Dear CS

i need you help. For the past few weeks I have been so down, It feels like I have an opsession with myself, I am constantly trying to be a " better"  person but finds that this only makes things worse for me as it feels like I dont know the " real Me" . Every morning I wake up and just feel like staying in bed.

I just end up crying or feel like hiding from the world, I cant seem to talk to anyone anymore as my feelings feel so silly, so instead I just sit quietely at work without saying anything that is not necessary.... I hate this I used to be so bubbly and cheerful.

I cant go to see a " Shrink"  as our we are over our heads in debt and there is just no money for this.

Please help

Sometimes you can get so wrapped up in obsessing about NOT being " a better person" that you have no time or energy left with which to actually work on BECOMING a better person.
And one can get lost in puAnd of course when one is puzzling over woolly concepts like "better person", and "real Me". There are no right answers to such questions, as they are too foggy to be answered, so one can easily feel lost and incompetent in failing to achieve what can't be achieved anyway.
And of course when one is depressed, our thinking capacity is really limited anyway, and our degree of feeling bad at even minor failures can become magnified in their negativity.
Have you explored what might be available in psych services at a state hospital or clinic, or your nearest medical School ? And have you explored the possible value to you in attending one of the support groups of the anxiety/Depression Support Group ? ( number on this page ) .

1